Lincoln County Montana Food Safety

Food Safety


Food Establishment Grading

Lincoln County Environmental Health has implemented a retail food establishment grading system based on annual inspection results.  We issue a grade(“A+” to” C-“) to each food establishment based on their annual inspection. The food establishment is required to post the grade where it is visible to the public.

  Retail Food Establishment Grading Policy

During the inspection and grading process all Retail Food Establishments are assigned a Risk Factor in accordance with the Administrative Rules of Montana. The following document provides a description of the Risk Factors

  Description of Risk Factors

Retail Food Establishment Grades

Food Recalls and Food Safety

Information about food recalls and food safety can be found at the following websites.
CDC Food Safety Website
USDA Food Safety Site

Retail Food Establishments

Montana state law requires that all food establishments meet the required state and federal regulations and are licensed by the State. This means that all restaurants, coffee kiosks, grocery and convenience stores, delicatessens, caterers, and mobile trucks must be approved, licensed and inspected. 

In 2015 Montana adopted the Federal Food and Drug Administration’s regulations for Montana. These regulations can be found at: FDA

There are additional regulations specific to Montana, and they can be found in the  Montana Administrative Rule.

Applications for retail food establishments are available at: Lincoln County Environmental Health, 418 Mineral Ave, Libby, MT 59923

We encourage people wanting to start a food business to contact our office early in the process, so that you get off on the right foot and save money and delays. We have a packet available to help people plan and address the necessary steps in starting a food business.

There is more information available on the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, Food and Consumer Safety website

If you want to operate a temporary food stand for an event or a series of events, you must get and display a permit issued from our office. You can download a temporary food permit below.

Temorary Food Permit Application

If you are a non-profit organization planning on operating a food stand for a single event, you may be exempt from licensing by providing us proof of your 501(c)(3) status. However, you will still need to get and display a non-profit temporary food permit for the event. The non-profit temporary food permit is available for download below.

Non-Profit Food Permit Application Fillable Form
Non-Profit Food Permit Application (PDF)