Criminal records checks, sometimes known as background checks, criminal background checks, or criminal history checks, are available to the general public. The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office provides only one type of check, called a Name-Based Criminal Records Check. This check searches local Lincoln County records only, and is provided for the requestor only. In other words, we won’t let you run a criminal records check on another person.
A typical example: A prospective employer may require an employment candidate (you) to provide them (the employer) with a local criminal records check. You can meet with us and we’ll do a local records check for you, and then provide you with the documents that you can take back to the employer.
If you need to have a Criminal Records Check completed for yourself:
- Appointments are not required but are preferable.
Please call the Records Unit at 406-293-4112 ext.5.
- Bring a form of valid photo identification.
- You will need to sign our Criminal Justice Waiver Form.
- The fee is $5.00 and is payable by cash, check, or money order.
- Fingerprinting services are provided for a $10 fee, and will cover up to five cards per session.
- Fees are payable by cash, check or money order.
State Background Checks
The State of Montana offers several resources for performing background checks.
Montana DOJ Background Checks
Montana DOJ Criminal History Search