Concealed Weapons

A concealed weapons permit applicant must be a United States citizen, 18 years of age or older, and a resident of Montana for at least six months. A concealed weapons permit is required if you will be concealing a weapon in an incorporated town (city).  Montana has no prohibitions against carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle.

Current concealed weapons laws are found in Montana Code Annotated 45-8-315 through 45-8-328.
A concealed weapon includes any weapon that is wholly or partially covered by clothing or wearing apparel.
A weapon is a dirk, dagger, pistol, revolver, slingshot, sword cane, billy, knuckles made of any hard substance, knife having a blade four inches (4”) long or longer, razor (not including a safety razor), or other deadly weapon.

Obtaining a Permit

Montana Residents

To obtain a Montana concealed weapons permit, a person must:

  • Have been a Montana resident for at least six months
  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be at least 18 years old

Montana residents who want to know if their permits are valid in another state must check with the specific state in which they want to carry a weapon to inquire about reciprocity laws.

Concealed weapons permits are processed by appointment only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Please call the records clerk at the number below early in the week for an appointment.

This is a Sample Application for reference so that you are can gather your information in advance.  You may fill out this sample application to prepare yourself, however you still must obtain the actual application, in person, at your appointment.

In order to complete an application, you will need to supply documentation that you have completed a handgun safety course.  There are several courses that satisfy this requirement.

    Hunters Safety Certificate.  To request a duplicate certificate, call Helena FWP at 406-444-4046 (Helena) or access online at  Hunter/Bowhunter Education Certificate
    NRA approved safety courses
    Any other weapons training certificate from a certified instructor.
    Concealed weapon permits from other states will qualify if the state’s permit is honored by Montana.
    A Military Discharge Form DD214 will also be accepted if it documents handgun training. To request a duplicate DD214, call MT Veterans Affairs at 406-755-3795.

You will also need to show a valid Montana driver’s license or identification card with an issue date showing residency.  Exception: Active duty military personnel are not required to have a Montana Driver’s License or State ID.  Active military must present a current Driver’s license (valid in any state) and an Active Duty Military Identification Card.

If all your paperwork is in order, the application takes 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

You will be charged $55.00 for a new permit application, or $25.00 for a renewal.  This fee is inclusive of the fingerprint and photograph fee.

    The application fee is non-refundable in the event it is determined that you are ineligible to receive a permit.

Fingerprints and photographs are done in the detention facility, so please do not bring young children as they are not permitted in that area.

The Records Unit begins processing applications on the 20th of each month.  Any applications received after the 20th will not be processed until the following month.  Applicants usually receive their permits in the mail around the first of the month following the date of the application.  Please note that Montana law allows 60 days for processing.

A permit is valid for 4 years.

If you have any questions, please contact the Records Clerk at the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office during office hours.  If you happen to get voice mail, be sure to leave a message with your phone number and the clerk will contact you as soon as possible.

Montana recognizes concealed weapons permits from some other states. Non-residents must meet the following criteria to carry a concealed weapon in Montana:

  • The state that issued their permit must require a criminal records background check before issuing a permit.
  • The permit must be in the holder’s possession.
  • The permit holder must have photo identification.